Become an Animal Care Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Broward County Animal Care and Adoption and lending a hand to help a needy paw. Your service will greatly benefit our shelter guests. The volunteer program offers opportunities for you to help our community’s dogs and cats in unique and special ways, including:
- Greeter – Assist residents visiting the shelter to find a lost pet, report a lost or found dog or cat, adopt a pet, etc.
- Office Assistant – Provide administrative support by assisting with data entry, adoption follow-up phone calls, enrollment in our spay/neuter program, etc.
- Adoption/Kennel Assistant – Assist with cleaning the kennel runs.
- Dog Walker – Provide exercise for adoptable dogs.
- Groomer – Assist staff with grooming adoptable animals (certification is required).
- Photographer/Artist – Photograph dogs and cats for the Web site and various publications.
- Special Event Assistant – Assist staff with adoption events (this opportunity is geared toward volunteers ages 14 to 17).
The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old. There are different volunteer opportunities available depending on the age of the volunteer. Volunteers who are 14 and 15 years old may volunteer at Special Events. Volunteers who are 16 and 17 years old may volunteer as Greeters at our Fort Lauderdale shelter as well as at Special Events. Volunteers who are at least 18 years old may volunteer for any of the available opportunities.
How to Become a Volunteer
Follow these easy steps:
- Read through the Volunteer Application Packet thoroughly.
- Complete and sign all the forms in the Volunteer Application Packet
- Make a clear, legible copy of your photo identification.
- Mail your completed Volunteer Application Packet and photo identification to:
Animal Care Volunteer Administrator
1870 S.W. 39th St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
Once your application is approved, you will be contacted by our Volunteer Coordinator to attend a Volunteer Orientation. You must attend this orientation in order to complete your application process and begin volunteering for us.
For questions about the Volunteer Program, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 954-359-1313 ext. 9685.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®