October – December 2013
4th Quarter 2013
South Runway Expansion Update
Throughout 2013, the construction of the new South Runway has continued to progress and reach its goal for commissioning in September of 2014. Once completed, the project will extend the South Runway (10R/28L) from 5,276 feet to 8,000 feet, giving the Airport two parallel commercial runways.
Benefits of the new South Runway include keeping delays to a minimum, enhancing safety during emergency situations, reducing taxi time to and from the terminals, and allowing more flexibility for aircraft operations.
Taxiway structure with beams placed on the columns. Click on the image for a larger view.
Aerial view looking north. Click on the image for a larger view.
Many developments and milestones for Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport’s (FLL) South Runway Expansion Project have been completed through the 4th quarter 2013 including:
- Overall, 60 percent of the total embankment required for the runway is in place. The embankment (including surcharge) is over 80 feet high in some locations.
- Construction of Mechanical Stabilized Earth (MSE) walls is ongoing east of U.S. 1. Over 50 percent of the MSE wall is in place and has been installed up to 50 feet high.
- Approximately 98 percent of the concrete piles have been installed. Once completed, there will be more than 2,700 concrete piles.
- Approximately 89 percent of 42,700 cubic yards of reinforced concrete in the structure foundations, walls, and columns have been placed.
- Deconstruction of the former southbound U.S. 1 exit ramp is complete. Construction of both the Braided Ramp and the new southbound U.S. 1 exit are currently underway.
- The Concrete Batch Plant has been assembled and will ultimately produce 478,000 square yards of concrete paving. There will also be an estimated 57,000 tons of asphalt needed for the new South Runway.
- Demolition of Dania Boat Sales will begin in November 2013. Demolition of the Hilton Hotel will begin in April 2014.
Terminal 4 Redevelopment and Expansion
Aiming to strengthen FLL’s position as a vital global gateway for the United States, the Terminal 4 (T4) Redevelopment and Expansion Project has achieved many milestones through the 4th quarter 2013. Workers will build the Terminal in two phases (eastern and western) while maintaining operations. Current T4 updates:
- Foundations of the new Western Expansion concourse started at the end of June 2013 and will continue through January 2014. Key activities include new underground utilities lines, pile caps, and demolition of the existing Security Screening Checkpoint.
- The Terminal 4 Aircraft Parking Apron Expansion Project was awarded in September to Tutor Perini Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Venture. Work is scheduled to start at the end of October 2013. At that time, the old Broward County Aviation Department office complex will be demolished as part of the construction of the new apron.
- Early in September 2013, construction started at Concourse H including new restroom facilities; installation of new carpet; charging stations; new lighting; and concession relocation
||Interior rendering of Terminal 4 that will increase from 60,000 sq. ft. to 490,000 sq. ft. of facilities. Click on the image for a larger view.|
Back to Top