Losing a dog or cat is one of the most heart-breaking situations a pet parent can go through. For many people, a pet is a beloved family member and the thought of losing that pet and not being able to find him is painful.
Every day Broward County Animal Care receives dogs or cats that have become lost from home. Unfortunately, many of these pets have no form of identification on them, making it virtually impossible to contact their owner.
The best way to ensure a happy reunion with your dog or cat is to have your pet properly registered with us. Once registered, you will receive a Pet Registration Tag that must be securely attached to your pet’s collar. The simple act of registering your pet and keeping a collar and tag on him at all times will help to identify your precious family member. This way, if your pet does becomes lost, we are able to contact you right away so that he can return home as quickly and safely as possible.
Benefits Of Pet Registration
Pets are our friends and companions. They look to us for everything from food and water to shelter and love.
They also need us to be their “voice” so that if they become lost from home, they are able to let someone know who they are and where they belong. By registering your dog or cat, you are giving your pet a voice so that they will be able to “phone home” in order to be reunited with you.
By simply registering your pet with us:
- We will be able to keep your pet’s information on file, as well as your name, address and phone information.
- If your pet becomes lost, we (or someone who finds your pet) will be able to check your pet’s registration number and link to your contact information so you can be called about your pet’s whereabouts.
- Your pet’s registration confirms that you are the registered owner of the pet.
Not only does pet registration benefit your pet, but the fees we collect are used to feed and care for the homeless pets in our care. In addition, $2.00 from each tag issued is used to fund our SPOT (Stop Pet Overpopulation Together) Program, which promotes responsible pet ownership through spaying and neutering.
Pet Registration Requirements
Broward County law requires both dogs and cats to wear an official Broward County Pet Registration Tag. The tag should be worn by your pet at all times so that he can be identified in case he gets lost from home.
- Dogs and cats four months or older must be registered.
- All dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies to be registered. A copy of a current Rabies Certificate, issued by a licensed veterinarian, must be presented at the time of purchase.
- If a licensed veterinarian has determined that a rabies vaccination will be detrimental to your pet’s health, he may issue a Waiver Certificate. This Certificate must be signed by the veterinarian and sent to Broward County Animal Care. However, a Pet Registration Tag must still be purchased.
- “Indoor” pets are not exempt from Broward County’s Pet Registration requirement. Every day, Broward County Animal Care receives “indoor” animals that have slipped out of an open door or window, or escaped through weak or loose screening. Such pets easily become lost since they are often not familiar with their neighborhood.
- Pets that have a tattoo or microchip, are still required to have a Broward County Pet Registration Tag.
Types of Pet Registrations and How They Work
The Pet Registration works in conjunction with your pet’s rabies vaccination because you cannot purchase the tag until your pet is vaccinated against rabies.
There are two types of Pet Registrations:
1. One-year Pet Registration Tag:
- Available if your pet has received either a one-year or three-year rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian.
- SPECIAL NOTE: If your pet received a three-year rabies vaccination and you purchased a one-year license, you must remember to renew the Pet Registration Tag when it expires in 12 months, even though your pet’s rabies vaccine is still valid for another two years.
2. Three-year Pet Registration Tag:
- Available only if your dog or cat received a three-year vaccination.
The Pet Registration is valid for one-year from the date of the rabies vaccination.
- If your pet received both a one-year rabies vaccination and a one-year Pet Registration Tag on February 3, 2012, both the rabies vaccination and pet registration will expire on February 3, 2013.
- If your pet received a one-year rabies vaccination on February 3, 2012, but you do not purchase the Pet Registration Tag until March 3, 2012, the Registration Tag will only be valid for 11 months, since the rabies vaccine will expire on February 3, 2013.
Cost of the Pet Registration Tag
The cost of the Pet Registration Tag depends on whether your pet is spayed/neutered and whether you are purchasing a one-year or three year tag:
- If your dog or cat is spayed/neutered (fixed):*
- one-year tag--$15
- three-year tag--$35
- If your dog or cat is NOT spayed/neutered (fixed):*
- one-year tag--$31
- three-year tag--$75
*Please note, some veterinary offices may charge an additional handling fee to cover their administrative costs.