* In the event of a hurricane, BCT buses are called upon to assist in the evacuation of residents who are unable to make other arrangements for transportation to designated shelters. Transportation for residents with Special Needs will be coordinated through Broward County Human Services Department and BCT’s Paratransit (TOPS). View the hurricane evacuation map and shelter list.
* After an evacuation order is given from the County Administrator, if buses are already in service, BCT will start to wind down service gradually, end normal bus service, and implement its evacuation plan. Evacuation service will coincide with the opening of the American Red Cross shelters. It will not begin before shelters are open. The pick-up points for evacuees are at any regular BCT bus stop along A1A and Federal Highway.
* In the case of a Category 1 or 2 hurricane (Evacuation Plan A), buses will pick up along A1A. In a Category 3 or higher (Evacuation Plan B), bus pick-up points will include A1A and Federal Highway.
* Pick-up points are at any regular bus stop located along A1A on the beaches, and/or Federal Highway in a Category 3 or higher. Those evacuating from these areas can flag down any BCT bus for pick-up. All buses will be marked "Emergency Evacuation" on the head sign.
* Evacuation service will continue as long as weather permits.
* Broward County Transit Paratransit Services section coordinates the transportation of persons with disabilities to and from shelters. Pre-registration is required. Call Broward County Human Services Department at 954-357-6385 (TTY 954-357-5608).
Before an emergency threatens, all Broward County residents should have a plan in place to help ensure their safety. All residents should be prepared if basic services such as water, gas, electricity or telephones are cut off for an extended period of time. Local governments and relief workers should know if you or a member of your family is vulnerable in an emergency. Read more here.
|Operations Customer Service Center
|Hurricane Information Hotline (call center/transportation)
|Broward County (general information)
|Customer Service Center, Government Center West
|Broward County Sheriff (Broward County Transit Detail)
|Hearing-speech impaired/TTY (teletype machine required)