Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Passed by County Commission
Broward County Commissioners have adopted a final budget for fiscal year 2014. The FY14 budget of $4.1 billion includes tax supported and non-tax supported funds and keeps most County services at their current levels. The millage rate (tax and non-tax supported) remains mostly flat except for a slight increase of .17 mills or less than 20 cents per $1,000 of taxable value. The proposed combined millage rate for FY14 is $5.723 per thousand dollars of taxable value. More…
2014 Budget Meetings Overview:
October 1, 2013: Beginning of Fiscal Year 2014
- September 24, 2013, 5:01 p.m.: Budget Public Hearing #2
- September 10, 2013, 5:01 p.m.: Budget Public Hearing #1
- August 20, 2013, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Budget Workshop
- June 18, 2013, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Budget Workshop
- June 4, 2013, 12:30 – 5 p.m.: Budget Workshop
- May 21, 2013, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.: Budget Workshop
Previous meetings and documents:
- February 28, 2013: County Commission Goal-Setting Retreat, including a pre-budget presentation.
- April 16, 2013: Budget Workshop (Aviation, Port Everglades, Tourist Tax-Funded Programs)
Know Your County Budget Basics
Have you ever wondered how the programs and services you enjoy are funded? The property taxes you pay, also known as ad valorem taxes along with miscellaneous fees, transfers and fund balances, and sales tax comprise what is known as the General Fund budget. The General Fund budget is approximately $1 billion dollars and represents about one-third of the County’s overall $3.7 billion budget.
The collected property tax revenues for FY2013 are allocated to fund several areas. The Broward Sheriff’s Office is allocated 51 percent of total property tax revenues. The Broward County Commission has authority over 36 percent of property tax revenues which are allocated to Parks and Libraries (10 percent), Human Services (8 percent), Transit (3 percent), and Other Programs (15 percent). The remaining thirteen percent is allocated to the Property Appraiser and Supervisor of Elections (3 percent) and required mandates (10 percent).
A tentative budget meeting/workshop calendar for the Fiscal Year 2014 budget process has been prepared. County Commission government meetings are broadcast live on participating channels and webcast live on broward.org. More…
Microsoft PowerPoint Reader®
Microsoft Office Reader®