Sue Gunzburger was first elected to the Broward County Commission in November 1992 by a landslide margin, running on a promise to empower the neighborhoods, protect the environment and clean-up county government. She was easily re-elected in 1994. In 1998, 2002 and 2006, Sue was re-elected without opposition. In 2010, Sue won a hard fought re-election by an impressive margin. Her “people-powered” campaign fought for ethics reform and helped secure the implementation of the Broward Ethics Code.
Before her election to the County Commission, Sue served as a Hollywood City Commissioner for ten years (1982-1992). She has also worked as a public school classroom teacher, a small businesswoman and a clinical marriage & family counselor. Sue and her late husband Gerry (1931-2009), moved to Hollywood in 1968. Married for just over 49 years, they are the proud parents of three grown children (Ron, Cindy and Judy) and three grandchildren (Emily, Joshua and Jacob).
Born in Buffalo, New York, Sue was raised in New Jersey and Michigan. She graduated from Wayne State University with a B.S. in Education, and received her Master's Degree in Clinical Social Work from Barry University.
Sue has won many awards over the years for her work in our community. Some of these awards include:
- Child Advocate of the Year Award, Child Care Connection
- Legislator of the Year Award, Broward Environmental Coalition
- Broward County Woman of the Year Award, American Jewish Congress
- Inducted into the Broward County Women's Hall of Fame
- Leadership Award, Area Agency on Aging of Broward County
- Community Leadership Award, Hispanic Unity of Florida
- Hannah G. Solomon Leadership Award, National Council of Jewish Women
- Woman of Distinction Award, March of Dimes Foundation
- Heart Award for Child Advocacy, Children's Consortium
- Woman of Style and Substance Award, Florida Philharmonic
- Social Activist Award, Temple Beth-El
- Leadership Award, Pride South Florida
- Democrat of the Year, Broward Democratic Party
- Leadership & Service Award, Hollywood Democratic Club
- Government Leadership Award, Dolphin Democratic Club
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Lauderhill Democratic Club
- Crystal Vision Award for Government, Art and Culture Center of Hollywood
- Humanitarian of the Year, Samuel M. and Helene Soref Jewish Community Center
- Encore Award for Government Leadership, ArtServe
- Champion of Children’s “Teddy Award” presented by the Broward County Youth Summit
- Mother of the Year presented by Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Coalition of Broward County, Inc.