Unplugging electronics such as cell phones and laptops once they are charged can save over 1,000 lbs. of greenhouse gases per year. Source: Energy Star
Office products that have earned the government’s Energy Star feature special energy-efficient designs, which enable them to use less energy while performing regular tasks. Features such as power management settings allow equipment to enter a low-power mode when not in use- saving energy, money, and the environment. Source: Energy Star (PDF)
Useful Resources for Office and Administration
Energy Star In the Office
Information on energy-efficiency opportunities in office facilities provided by the Enviromental Protection Agency and Energy Star.
Energy Star 's Purchasing and Procurement Guide
These resources are designed to assist procurement officials in smart purchasing decisions.
EPA’s guide to Green Purchasing
Several guides are available to assist those interested in green purchasing, including general green purchasing guides and product or service specific guides.
Tips for the Office/Administration
- Give it a Rest -Use the ENERGY STAR power management settings on your computer and monitor so they go into power save mode when not in use. Also use a power strip as a central “turn off” point when you are using equipment to completely disconnect the power supply. For more information visit the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Unplug It -Unplug Electronics such as cell phones and laptops once they are charged. Adapters plugged into outlets use energy even if they are not charging. Also when electronic devises are turned off but still plugged in, they continue to use energy (vampire power). Saves over 1,000 lbs. of CO2 per year.
- Use Power Strips -Plug all electronics into power strips and turn them off each night to save more energy.
- Program Copy Machines -Have them enter sleep and shut-down modes after a selected time.
- Purchase Green Products -Including recycled paper, green cleaners, fuel-efficient vehicles, and Energy Star rated electronics & vending machines.
- Apply for an Emerald Award -Get recognized for outstanding environmentally-responsible practices.
- Recieve an Energy Audit -An Energy Audit will identify cost-beneficial improvements for your facility.
- Electronic Invoices, Statements, And Quotes - You can save money on postage, reduce the use of paper by converting everyday business documents such as invoices, statements, and quotes into an electronic format such as PDF and sending via email.
- Shipping - Reduce the amount of packaging materials by utilizing properly sized boxes for the item being shipped. In addition, use recycled materials for packing and packaging.
Establish Your Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Benchmarking your businesses energy performance is a key first step to understanding and reducing energy consumption and your carbon footprint. All buildings can assess their energy performance, water efficiency, and carbon emissions using Portfolio Manager. Identify, Track & Report Your Energy Improvements in 3 East Steps. Source: Energy Star
Hamilton Sundstrand Worldwide Repair
Business Size: Large
Nature of Business: Aircraft repair
- Annually conduct, track and analyze energy audits
- Continuously educate employees on climate change and environmental issues during weekly and monthly departmental communication, in addition to an internal monthly newsletter discussing the environment energy savings.
- Promote “Ride your bike to Work Day”, carpooling and the use of public transportation
- Use of efficient lighting technologies throughout the facility
- Turn off all air conditioning units during unoccupied hours
- Maintenance schedule to repair leaks for our compressed air system as they occur
- West facing glass has light tint to reduce heat gain
- Process changes
- Originally removed paint from components with methylene chloride, an organic compound thought to be carcinogenic.
- Changed to cleaning by sand blasting which eliminated an extremely hazardous chemical, but still required disposal of containmated sand. Subsequently changed from sand blasting to baking soda. The spent baking soda is not considered a waste because it is reused as a fire retardant.
- Certified by the United States Department of Energy for demonstrating exception leadership by completing energy savings assessments through the “Save Energy Now Program.”
- Recognized by Florida Power and Light for energy conservation and savings
- Use of two aqueous parts washers, which are less toxic than mineral spirits
- Other cleaning machines use petroleum solvent which is recycled
- Elimination of cyclohexane for cleaning purposes
- Recycle 24,859 pounds in 2009
- Customers are highly encouraged to re-use their containers, Hamilton Sundstrand provides storage for them
- Installation of sink aerators for water savings
- Process improvement of cooling tower system.
- Cooling tower is main water consumption process at Hamilton Sundstrand.
- Due to evaporation, circulating water requires a make up water supply. Installation of by-pass loop valve converted system to closed-loop, resulting in 18,000 gallons/year water savings and zero discharge to sewer
Advanced Green Technologies
Buisness Size: Small
Nature of Business: Innovative solar technology company
Advanced Green Technologies Environmental Accomplishments:
- Solar photovoltaic system provides approximately 9000 kWh AC of energy monthly for use by their building.
- AGT installed solar photovoltaic systems have offset 11,782,000 lbs of CO2 worldwide.
- Recycle plastic, paper and batteries.
- Company cars are hybrid.
- Reusable industrial metal pallets to deliver supplies to sites and connect to cranes for use onsite.
- Sponsorship of Junior Achievement home improvement room at the JA Finance Park. JA was developed to assist children with viewing the world of work, free enterprise, and their possibilities for success through experiential learning.
- Donation of solar panels to enhance children's activities for going green including panels for the South Plantation High School Solar Knights Racing Team race car.
- Development of state-of-the-art online animated program (Solar Education Center) for educating the public on solar energy - where it comes from, how it works, and how we can use it to better our planet.
- Creation of a solar trailer containing a full kitchen running entirely off of solar energy for educational purposes.
- Pilot programs for new technology.
- In addition to solar energy solutions, also sell sky lights that disperse more light called daylighting systems.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®