Broward’s Local Government Green Initiatives and Resources
Broward County and its Municipalities
- Local Government Climate Change Action Plans and Green Initiatives
- Broward League of Cities– Sustainability Committee
- Emerald Award Climate Change Leader Award: The Emerald Award Program is designed to recognize businesses, government, individuals, or organizations in Broward County demonstrating a commitment to protecting and preserving our environment. The Climate Change Leader category recognizes facilities, businesses, and government entities that have made great strides in addressing global climate change. It recognizes best practices from private and public organizations that demonstrate measurable activities that achieve operational and community benefits including the reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and the promotion of behavioral change to employees and customers.
- Florida Green Local Government Certification - The Florida Green Local Government Standard designates Green Cities and Green Counties for outstanding environmental stewardship. It is expected that certified green city and county governments will not only gain recognition and publicity, but also function in a more efficient manner through better internal communication, cost reductions, and effective risk and asset management.
- ICLEI’s STAR Community Index - The STAR Community Index is a national, consensus-based framework for gauging the sustainability and livability of U.S. communities. STAR will be launched by 2010, and is currently being developed through a partnership between ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability, the U.S. Green Building Council, and the Center for American Progress.
- CHANGE THE WORLD, TAKE THE ENERGY STAR PLEDGE.
Partner with Broward County as we join the NACo Energy Star Campaign Pledge Drive which ends November 30, 2009.
- Free Publications: Order Free Publications on ways to save energy and money from Energy Star.