The Records, Taxes and Treasury Division serves as Broward County’s tax collector and banker, and is the statutory repository for the Official Records of Broward County. This Division, part of the Finance and Administrative Services Department:
- manages the County’s banking and investment relationships
- collects residential and commercial property taxes, local business taxes, and other taxes on behalf of various taxing authorities
- ensures compliance with Florida law as it relates to the preparation, accessibility, retention and disposal of Public Records
- records documents
- makes copies of recorded documents available to members of the public for viewing, purchasing and certifying
Most services of the Broward County Records, Taxes and Treasury Division are available online.
View Online Services
Motor Vehicle Tags/Titles - The Motor Vehicle Tag agencies act as an agent for the State of Florida and are regulated by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. The Motor Vehicle Tag section is responsible for the renewal of motor vehicle, vessel and mobile home registrations; the issuance of original registrations; the processing of title applications, the issuance of special tags, disabled parking permits and the collection of sales tax and local option taxes as required by law.
Document Control and Minutes – This section maintains information pertaining to the business functions of County Government, including Code of Ordinances, Resolutions, Commission Meeting Agendas and official minutes of County Commission meetings and board workshops.
Recording and Search – This section reviews, records and maintains a name index and images for deeds, mortgages, court judgments, declarations of domicile, domestic partnerships and other documents recorded into the Official Records, in accordance with Florida law. This section also provides copies and certification of recorded documents. The Official Records in Broward County date back to 1883. As in all other Florida counties, the Official Records are permanent and can only be removed through a court ordered expungement.
Records Management - This section is an internal support function that allows County agencies to send records to, or retrieve records from, the County’s Records Center.
Revenue Collection – This section collects taxes at the local level, including those levied by the County Commission and other special taxing districts, and performs the following functions for state and federal agencies:
- Florida Department of Revenue – collect real and ad valorem (property) taxes
- Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles - issue state motor vehicle license plates and parking placards, and process applications for titles on automobiles, trucks, mobile homes and boats
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission – issue hunting and fishing licenses
- U.S. Department of State – process passport applications
Tourist Development Tax – This section collects, enforces, and audits the Broward County Tourist Development Tax.
Treasury – This section is responsible for banking relationships, investment of County funds, debt management, and support services. In addition, the Treasury section coordinates daily cash management and distributes ad valorem taxes to taxing authorities.