April is National County Government Month:
"Healthy Counties, Healthy Families."
National County Government Month is a time for residents to learn more about the programs and services of the Broward County Commission, and the impact of those programs and services in the community. The theme for this year’s celebration is “Healthy Counties. Healthy Families.” There are many ways Broward County agencies help protect and enhance the health, welfare and safety of residents.
Residents are encouraged to participate in “Healthy Counties. Healthy Families.” events at the Broward County Governmental Center and the Anne Kolb Nature Center.
Events - Healthy cooking demonstrations, chair yoga classes, nature walks, book exhibits and park activities. More...
Recommended Reading - Broward County Employee Benefit Services and Humana Health Care have put together a series of articles that will help residents and their families live a healthier lifestyle. More...
Wealth of Library Resources Available
The Broward County Libraries Division suggests the following books, DVDs and Web sites to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. All are available at your branch library. More…
Find Fitness at a County Park
Back up your good intentions to get fit with a visit to a Broward County park. Activities include baseball, softball, basketball, biking, mountain biking, cable water-skiing, water skiing and wakeboarding, cricket, disc golf, football, soccer, inline skating, jogging, netball, tennis/racquetball and volleyball. There are also beautiful areas for walking and hiking. More…
Broward County agencies offer an array of healthy activities. From tennis lessons to mountain bike trails, from meditation classes to healthy eating discussion groups, residents are invited to get involved and start living healthy.
Park & Recreation Events
To measure the health of a community’s residents, medical professionals evaluate their physical, mental and emotional condition. Finding the real picture of a community’s well-being requires a deeper look. At Broward County, we believe community health is measured by:
- The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of its residents – 1.7 million strong
- The economic health of County government – with a budget of $3.3 billion, that provides for programs and services, many of which promote the health and well-being of our community
- The fiscal strength of County government – with a bond rating reflective of the County’s strong credit position and sound economic condition
- The economic vibrancy of our business community, that contributes to the well-being of the resident workforce, and our more than 11 million visitors annually
- The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of Broward County employees – at 5,239, one of the largest employers in the County
- The safety of Broward County employees in the workplace
- The preparedness of residents, especially the most vulnerable in our community, in the event of an hurricane or other emergency
This Website offers residents an opportunity to view the wide variety of community health programs and services provided by Broward County Government, as well as ongoing healthy living recreational and educational programs, offered primarily by our Parks and Recreation and Libraries Division, which contribute to the quality of life in our community.
Peruse this site at your leisure, and enjoy! Good health awaits!
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®