The Comprehensive Planning section has both a local and a countywide mission. We serve as the planning staff for all unincorporated areas of the County, including the Central County Community (Boulevard Gardens, Franklin Park, Roosevelt Gardens and Washington Park), Broadview Park, Hillsboro Pines, Hillsboro Ranches, as well as areas in west and northwest Broward. In addition, we also provide planning services for several regional facilities located in the unincorporated area such as the International Airport and County landfills. Services for our unincorporated communities and areas include planning to ensure the adequacy of necessary public services and facilities such as potable water, sanitary sewer, parks, roads, transit, and public schools. We also identify and develop policy to ensure the protection and enhancement of our natural and historic resources. In addition, we analyze and identify measures than can be taken to enhance the community and quality of life, such as land use changes, rezoning, redevelopment activities, and affordable housing policy.
The Planning and Redevelopment section also has a countywide planning function as we prepare the elements of and provide services concerning the County’s Comprehensive Plan, which speak to the County’s overall growth management and land development policies. Activities concerning countywide planning services include:
- Evaluating and managing the “Broward Redevelopment Program,” which offers funding to municipalities and Community Redevelopment Agencies for qualified projects;
- Developing and maintaining geographic information services (GIS);
- Preparing population forecasts;
- Coordinating with and providing support to the County Commission and Broward County Planning Council in the review and evaluation of Broward County Land Use Plan amendments;
- Conducting planning, demographic, economic, and geographic research and analysis.